Thursday, December 3, 2009

An Undivided Heart

Teach me your way, O Lord,
    and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
    that I may fear your name.

An undivided heart. A heart not going in many different directions. A heart focused on God and his will for my life...no matter what else is going on. How I want that kind of heart! Don't you?

Going into the busyness and distractions of December, I need to hear the simple truth of David's psalm.

Just to think of an undivided heart causes me to feel more peaceful. To take a deep breath. To remember to rely on God...not on myself. To seek to bring glory to God...not to myself.

The undivided heart is set free to "fear [God's] name." Not to be shivering in dread, but to affirm the power and majesty and sovereignty of the Lord God Almighty.

Just as a mother gently cups the face of her distracted child with her hands and turns it to focus on hers as she gives direction, so God says, "Look at me. I love you. I want your life to be full and fulfilled. Have an undivided heart. Do not be distracted by all that must be done. Be still and know that I am God."

O Lord, give me an undivided heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment